Thursday, March 29, 2007

MAUS--A great read




As I sit here watching survivor (Yes, I still enjoy the show.), I remembered that it was about that time of year to reread one of my favorite graphic novels, Maus.

Every year I try to read Maus at least once. Not only is a great graphic novel, but it also is a great lesson in history and compassion. Maus was illustrated and written by Art Spiegelman and first appeared in 1973 according to the copyright information listed in the graphic novel. Maus was published in various forms throughout the 80s and early 90s. Eventually Maus was printed as two separate volumes and in 1992 the graphic novel and Art Spiegelman won the Pulitzer Prize.

Maus is first and foremost a memoir about Art Spiegelman and his relationship with his father, Vladek Spiegelman. The novel takes place during two different time periods (late 70s-early 80s and Nazi Germany). Although the novel is mainly about Art and his relationship with his father, the actual story is about his father's experience as a Jew during the Holocaust and surviving.

In Maus, the humans are portrayed as animals (Jews are mice, Germans are cats, Americans are dogs, etc). You can probably guess why the animals were chosen as they were. As a history book, this graphic novel excels in telling a harrowing account of a Jewish survivor of 1930s and 1940s Europe. In fact, I have been trying to get my wife to use this graphic novel in German class for years.

I don't want to ruin any of the story so I will leave you where you are. I highly recommend The Complete Maus and would suggest that everyone should read it at least once.

No comments: